Leaders can help employees connect with and relate to people across organisational divides by doing four things:
- developing and developing cultural brokers
- encouraging employees to ask questions
- helping people to see things through other peoples’ eyes
- broadening everybody’s vision of internal & external expertise networks
– Tiziana Casciaro, Amy C.Edmondson & Sujin Jang (HBR May-June 2019)
Knowledge is no substitute for understanding.
After you’ve done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over.
– Alfred E. Perlman
Leading predictors of C-suite success are insatiable curiosity and a willingness to learn. This learning agility includes learning to adjust the metrics by which you measure your progress.
– Whitney Johnson
Successful careers are not planned. They develop when people are prepared for opportunities because they know their strengths, their method of working and their values
– Peter F Drucker
Without change there is no innovation, creativity, or incentive for improvement. Those who initiate change will have a better opportunity to manage the change that is inevitable
– William Pollard
I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but should get you pretty near.
– Margaret Thatcher